FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dfl.lib problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: dfl.lib problem Reply with quote

OK, I just figured something out. Some perfect code compiled in a perfectly setup DMD and DFL environment can still fail. This happens when not compiling the code with the -debug switch. dfl.lib is made using -debug and if you don't use -debug as well, it can cause problems such as nothing happening at all when running your program, or a message box saying "Control creation failure.". I didn't notice this because I compile most of my code with -debug.

So, for now, just always use -debug when compiling with DFL. I have some ideas to resolve this issue.

Sorry for this; just glad I figured it out. I swear it's a pain distributing lib files Neutral
Thorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: dfl.lib problem Reply with quote

Vathix wrote:
dfl.lib is made using -debug and if you don't use -debug as well, it can cause problems such as nothing happening at all when running your program, or a message box saying "Control creation failure.".

Eh! It's exactly what I got when I compiled examples! But... why we need to use -debug? It's strange limitation. May be you can fix it? Debug is debug, release is release.
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: dfl.lib problem Reply with quote

Thorn wrote:
Eh! It's exactly what I got when I compiled examples! But... why we need to use -debug? It's strange limitation. May be you can fix it? Debug is debug, release is release.

It's due to the way the compiler and linker work. -debug generates slightly different code, which essentially is a different version. It's not safe to mix versions.

If you recompile dfl.lib with different switches, it will work with those switches.
Thorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: dfl.lib problem Reply with quote

Vathix wrote:

It's due to the way the compiler and linker work. -debug generates slightly different code, which essentially is a different version. It's not safe to mix versions.

Hmm... What a problem with mixing? DFL uses -debug and make own business, my program uses different switch and do own things.

Vathix wrote:

If you recompile dfl.lib with different switches, it will work with those switches.

OK, I will. But when I did it w/o -debug all examples didn't work, though was successfuly compiled.
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: dfl.lib problem Reply with quote

Thorn wrote:
Vathix wrote:

Hmm... What a problem with mixing? DFL uses -debug and make own business, my program uses different switch and do own things.

Different data structures could be output in different versions and the linker hardly cares as long as it finds the symbols.

For example, one version thinks something is at a certain offset and another version thinks it's at a different offset; bad things happen.
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be resolved in snapshot 20050922.
- Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DFL All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: